Assign Pass-through or Physical Disk to Hyper-v Virtual Machine
Posted by Brajesh Panda on April 20, 2011
To assign a pass-through disk to your hyper-v virtual machine you must have a free drive/disk allocated to your hyper-v host. It can be a local drive or SAN LUN. Just to note if you have a hyper-v cluster & you are assigning pass-through disks to hosted virtual machines there are some extra steps you have to perform. I will touch upon those steps in another article.
In below picture I have assigned a new drive to my hyper-v server. And I will assign the same to my virtual machine as a pass-through physical disk.
- Right click “Initialize the Disk”, you may like to select GPT Style for Large partition.
- Right click & bring the disk to offline state
- Shutdown the VM where you like to add the Pass-through Disk.
- Go to Virtual Machine Settings, Select Disk Controller & Add HDD, Select “Physical Disk” radio button, Drop down & select the disk.
- Start Virtual Machine & Open Disk Management tool, you will able to see Online New Drive. Below picture refer to Disk 1. Now you can create partition & start using them.